Monday, March 13, 2006

There's Gonna Be a War

Oh joy! It's the political season here in my Tiny Town. And believe me, I never thought in all my life that that small town politics could be so ugly.

There's basically 2 groups vying for power and even though neither officially affiliates themselves with a political party, they're the same as Republicans and Democrats. And when it comes to choosing the lesser of 2 evils I usually go with the Dems.

One of the biggest issues this year is whether or not our town should vote to eliminate Town Meeting. Apparently the people who would like to do away with Town Meeting are the people who get pissed off that Town Meeting tends to pass any warrant article asking for money. They figure this is why their property taxes are so high but they forget that over 50% of our taxes go to the school (which has nothing to do with anything that happens at Town Meeting). Also they forget that there is no SALES TAX or INCOME TAX in NH.

Now, I am opposed to getting rid of Town Meeting. To be honest until I moved to NH and experienced Town Meeting I NEVER felt like I was part of the democratic process. Sure I've always voted but I've also always felt like it was some sort of busy work, ya know?

But anyway, there is one particular person who has sent out letters in the mail in order to influence people to vote against keeping Town Meeting. If you would like to see his letter click HERE. You don't really need to read it but here are some things you should know about this letter:
  • The author doesn't know the difference between the word "to" and the word "too"
  • The author uses up to 23 exclamation points at the end of sentences, believing that this adds proper emphasis to his points
  • The author uses the word "BULLCRAP" at least 4 times, believing that this is proper language one uses in a persuasive essay
The use of excessive punctuation is what gets me the most though. I know he's an older gentleman but did he fall asleep with his finger on the keyboard?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can barely stand to read this letter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home